The Wisconsin Interscholastic Horsemanship Association (WIHA) is a rapidly growing organization. If you are interested in starting a team for your school, there are a few easy steps you need to take.
- Check out our Current Teams page to see if your school already has a team. If your school DOES already have a team, contact the coach listed, your corresponding District Chairperson, or email@example.com. If your school DOES NOT already have a team, proceed to the following step.
- Decide who is going to be your team coach. Your coach must be an adult 18 years or older. They do not have to have experience with horses nor be associated with your school. They do have to be organized and be able to handle some paperwork. Once you have decided on your coach, they must fill out a volunteer form found under the Forms for Coaches page and send it into your District Chairperson immediately.
- Go to your school administration to discuss being supported by the school. Not all WIHA teams are considered a sport or recognized by their school. While it is a goal of WIHA to have all teams recognized, you can compete without the support of your school. If your school is willing to support your WIHA team, they can help to spread the word to potentially interested students. If you need help with information to present to your school administration, contact either your District Chairperson or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each rider on your team will need to fill out the forms found on the Forms for Students and Parents page and submit the forms to your District Chairperson. You will also need to send in a copy of your horse’s Coggins. If the Coggins does not have a photo of your horse on it, you will also need to send in a photo of your horse. Riders must provide proof of attendance for their school. This can be either a report card, letter with school letterhead, school ID, etc.
- There is a $35 membership fee to WIHA that will need to be included with your paperwork to your District Chairperson.
- Current members have until August 15th of the current year to submit their paperwork. New riders have until 1 week prior to their district show to submit their paperwork.
- Once your paperwork is submitted, you have formed a team for the WIHA! We look forward to having you be a part of this wonderful organization!
Congratulations to the 2016 WIHA State Champions
- Grand Champion Chippewa Falls
- Reserve Champion Winneconne
- Grand Champion Sun Prairie
- Reserve Champion Neenah
- Grand Champion Ripon
- Reserve Champion Omro
- Grand Champion Alliance High
- Reserve Champion Madison Memorial
Congratulations to the Aimee Thompson Scholarship Winners
- Hannah Krueger Winneconne
- Hunter Offord Sun Prairie
- Madison Couture East Troy
- Emma Sands Sun Prairie
- Jenna Haack Dodgeville
Congratulations to the Spirit Award Winners
- Division A Jefferson
- Division B Palmyra Eagle
- Division C Fall Creek
- Division D Union Grove